The few people I know who've watched it didn't really have anything mind-blowing to say about the movie. I think the common sentiment was a certain chunk of the movie ***SPOILERS*** was just too darn long relative to its importance in story development (i.e. the motorcycle chase). With my expectations sufficiently lowered, I found myself picking out gems almost unconsciously. It's human nature, Sherlock in BBC Sherlock said, "They love to contradict you."
My favorite parts:
- The establishment of sexual tension that did not have to descend into passionate love-making (these two dudes had no choice but to be together, so any attraction that eventually developed was surely organic)
- All the man vs. wild scenes (and the close-ups of the snarling wolf, where he literally man-handled an animal to make it swallow the capsule thing): it actually reminded me of his focus and single-mindedness in the Hurt Locker (and why men are sexy, in general)
- The amazing action scenes: fast-paced, frenetic, bordering on the impossible (squeezing in speeding motorcycles throughout Manila traffic can get pretty intense)
- That extremely painful confession (at least it seemed painful to me) that Aaron used to be a guy with below-average intelligence and that this was why he needed to stay enhanced
- Shearing's passion for "the science" was so palpable I wanted to hug her when Aaron was grilling her about the chems
- There were some surprises for me: the suicide and when the agents turned on Shearing
- Aaron's kickass killer instincts (when he prepped the gun to shoot down a plane I was all that's my kind of dude yeah, and when Aaron told Shearing to shoot at a certain direction after x minutes)
By the way, when we were watching at SM Masinag, Cinema 4 I think during the 3:40PM show, some irresponsible parents brought kids to the movie. I cannot even begin to understand why parents would consider bringing a toddler (or a big baby) to a movie theater, and to this kind of movie! Gahd. I let out several explosive shhhses which didn't really accomplish anything but something or another happened (they injected a sedative?) and the kid piped down. Parents, please grow up. Learn how to control your kids or one day, they will meet me, and I will scar them for life. I swear it. I've been known to terrorize kids during Halloween.